Deadly Bronx fire stemmed from malfunctioning space heater

The malfunctioning electric space heater was in an apartment bedroom, FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. Heat was on in the building; the portable device was used for supplementary warmth.


51 · 8 days ago · Reddit

Don't ignore smoke alarms as well regardless how many false alarms. Investigate each one to ensure all clear.

40 · 8 days ago · Reddit

So one of the cofounders for this building is part of the mayors transition team. They’ve had numerous complaints and didn’t care.

Excerpt from NYT article:

Some victims were found trapped in the stairwells and others in their apartments, and one man narrowly escaped when the elevator arrived as he was losing consciousness, Mr. Feliz said.

The specific vouchers they use in the development are not transferable, Mr. Feliz said, adding that it would be difficult for them to find permanent housing.

“It’s a tragedy,” he said. “We’re talking about some of the poorest New Yorkers.”

The Bronx building is owned by a group of investors, LIHC Investment Group, Belveron Partners and Camber Property Group, who bought it as part of a $166 million deal in early 2020 for eight rent-regulated buildings in the borough.

Camber Property Group, which operates affordable housing properties across New York City, most of which are in the Bronx, is one of the fastest-growing developers of affordable housing in the city.

Camber’s co-founder, Rick Gropper, was named as a member of Mr. Adams’s transition team for housing issues before Mr. Adams took office this month.


23 · 8 days ago · Reddit

In my experience the space heaters should be plugged into the wall socket and never used with any form of extension cord or power tap.

This more than perhaps anything else is the biggest fire hazard involving a high wattage appliance that is left on for hours at a time.

12 · 8 days ago · Reddit

“Heat was on in the building; the portable device was used for supplementary warmth…”

Sounds like the heat wasn’t working too well. Let’s not blame the tenant when in all likelihood the issue was the heating wasn’t working well.