Toronto seeing dramatic spike in anti-Asian hate crimes, new police data says
Police say the COVID-19 pandemic remains a “key” contributing factor to a jump in hate crimes that began in 2020.
The city reported 57 such incidents in 2021
A lot of people are probably not reporting them and the real number is much higher. I've seen 3 or 4 on the TTC alone.
Being asian in Toronto during Covid-19 was/is super fun. All the looks I had to get during the first few months. The things they said on my TTC rides. Super cool guys
Get your bingo cards ready
- nothing that happened was racist.
- why is this news? it happens every day!
- racism used to be worse.
- non-white people are the racists
- this incident didn't really happen
- racism is extremely rare and basically never happens.
- I never experience racism
- The best solution to perceived racism is for everyone to ignore it
- by claiming to experience racism, you are causing racism. (AKA Quantum Racism)
- those who dislike racism are the real racists
- person of affected race disagrees that the problem exists
- its better here than elsewhere
There are a lot of mentally ill and/or high people out there shouting racist slurs and harassing people. It's been noticeably getting worse over the last two years. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the reported incidents were perpetrated by such people.
Toronto businesses asking for transparency, accountability from Metrolinx as Ontario Line construction intensifies
A tax on parking could raise more than $500 million for Toronto. The city’s unprecedented money crunch has given the idea new traction
Man charged after parking enforcement officer punched in downtown Toronto
2 years into the pandemic, anti-Asian hate is still on the rise in Canada, report shows
Anti-Asian racism is soaring in Canada. These numbers tell the story